Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Birthday

On the 4th of December I celebrated my 31st birthday with my truck buddies.

It didn’t quite start out as the best day in the world. We had to get up at silly o’clock in the morning before sunrise in order to do a long drive day. I woke up swearing under my breath and muttering expletives like, ‘if the sun isn’t up, it isn’t f$%king daytime’. I stumbled out and packed up my tent and grumbled my way to the truck. Someone then said to me “Happy Birthday Mark!” I had forgotten my own birthday! Luckily everyone on the truck is really lovely and everyone remembered for me.

We put in a good twelve-hour drive day to get to a campsite that George described as “a little bit special”. We got off the truck all achy and tired, but what a place! It had hot showers, which we hadn’t had for several weeks. They had a full bar with whiskeys and gins. This place was absolute luxury. So much so that when we had a cooked breakfast with sausages and bacon (bacon!) the next day, everyone started taking photographs of the meals.

For my birthday though, we had a full Indian meal with freshly killed goat and chickens. It was out of this world.

To my surprise the people on the truck had arranged a chocolate birthday cake, complete with “Happy Birthday Mark!” on the top. How they found a cake like that in the middle of Africa I don’t know. Yum-o! Thanks guys.

As a special gift from the campsite and the truck I also received a box of one hundred condoms. I think the campsite owner, Raj, wasn’t aware of my predicament of having my sweetheart five thousand miles away, and so we did what anyone with rubber johnnies – and nowhere to put them – would do. We put them on our feet, made balloons and put them on our heads.

I will put up pictures if I can get them from the others. I was too busy having my cake and eating it too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mark. I remembered on the day but forgot email you. Besides, you forgot mine.