Friday, December 08, 2006

A taste of Africa

Nic rang me while we were near the border and I was wandering in the town. Here is an excerpt from the conversation to illustrate the African fun we are having.

Nic: "What is it like there? Try to give me a description"

Me: "Okay, so I'm in the middle of the town, well when I mean town I mean a large collection of hut-shops and two official buildings. And when I say I am in the middle of the road, I am actually standing in the middle of the dirt in between the shacks.

There is a herd of goats and some donkeys idling past me just now. They are being led through the town by a young child.

About two metres away is a large bull with horns the length of my arm; apparently without an owner. He is staring at me in a strange way."

At this point some children come up to me to say hello. This happens all throughout Africa and is quite endearing.

Me: "Hold on Nic. Jambo my little friends. Jambo!"

The kids all shake my hand, giggle and then run off to tell their friends they shook hands with a mzungu (crazy white traveller).

Me: "Okay, so where was I? Oh yeah, there is also a... oh, hold on a second! That bull has taken a wee liking to me."

It is at this point that I start to back away from the bull, which seems to be too curious. The bull starts to follow me and I start walking at a relatively quick pace. It follows. I walk. It follows.

I find my escape. I quickly hide behing a red cross land rover. While I am skulking there, the bull idles round from the other side and puts it head around the corner as if to say "I see you!"

I duck into the nearest butcher, hanging with his late buddies, hoping to discourage him from coming near me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You always were handy on the farm - not! :) The bull probably wanted to eat you because he was so hungry!! Really enjoying your blog, but as I am off over there next week I won't get to read it for three weeks and will just have to keep myself amused with my own Africa stories. Take care.