Wednesday, February 07, 2007

South African Policemen

So I'm driving happily along in SA when a uniformed man appears out of nowhere and flags me down in the car. It was the police and apparently I had been naughtily driving along at 92km/hr in a 60km/hr zone. In Britain this would lose me my license or perhaps land me in the clink. Not so in Africa; apart from being a tourist which makes you immune to most things, it is also South Africa and the police are notoriously corrupt.

My policeman was especially polite about the whole thing and being new to bribery, he helped me through it. He showed me the fine I had to pay and then suggested he might be able to help. "Perhaps I could make it only this much sir?" he said. I agreed that it was much better to pay less. I gave him the money and then he asked if I wanted all the forms and paperwork filled in. I said it wouldn't be necessary and he agreed, with both of us knowing that him and his partner would be having a few beers on the cash that night.

Meanwhile Gav and Kath are in the car sneakily taking photos of me getting busted...

No comments: